Life Skills is a term used to describe a set of basic skills acquired through learning and / or direct life experience that effectively address the issues and problems faced by individuals and groups in daily life and enables their effective handling.
These include creativity, critical thinking, problem solving, decision making, communication and the ability to collaborate, as well as personal and social responsibility that contributes to good citizenship, all the skills necessary for success in the 21st century, healthy, successful and employable individuals for both society and country.
Why do we need to teach life skills?
To provide the society with individuals who are:
- Aware of their rights and responsibilities as citizens
- Informed about social and political issues
- Worried about the welfare of others
- Able to articulate their opinions and arguments clearly
- Able to influence the world
- Active in our communities
- They are responsible for acting as citizens
Activities organized in PU to enhance Life Skills amongst students :
- Several awareness sessions were held with members of FSAI (Fire and Security Association of India) to ensure safety and security for building design and the importance of fire and life safety in complex building structures. Many eminent speakers of FSAI were invited and gave great knowledge of life skills. The session was full of learning and knowledge.
- The Social service club members went to the Government Senior Secondary School to interact with the students there and appease them by distributing notepads, pens, biscuits and chocolates.
- Poornima University organized various health awareness sessions to spread awareness about the importance of healthy life and work.
- Poornima Foundation, a social welfare community started by the Poornima Foundation and promoted by the Peace Education Society, came into existence in the year 2013. In its endeavor, PU Paathshala is educating more than 100 children and tries to involve more and more children to uproot the evils of illiteracy from the society by spreading the light of education in every corner of the society.
- The speaker came from Akshya Patra showered light on how the sustain staunch faith in God by retaining optimism and happiness.
- The School of Engineering and Technology prepared an Action Plan on Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan and organised many activities during 2015-2020 and has planned to organize many more in the upcoming years. A team of student’s coordinators was formed. The students were responsible to keep the campus and its surrounding clean.
- Poornima University organizes Yoga session for students during the Induction Program every year so that students can start their new journey with existing college life i.e. college life with a refreshing and healthy mind-set with college seniors.