A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) requires completion of a piece of research that demonstrates a significant and original contribution to knowledge in the fields of fine art, sculpture, moving image, performance art, social practice, design, media arts, curating, art theory, art education and their interdisciplinary fields through independent, supervised research and investigation. Art & Design candidates acquire advanced specialist research training and produce a thesis that provides evidence for independent thought, critical analysis, and expert knowledge of the discipline in an international context. Creative work may form part of the thesis in the School of Art & Design.
The basic eligibility to pursue this course is to hold a PG degree with at least 50% from a recognizable institution in India. The doctoral program normally takes 3-5 years to complete and involves three different stages after the admission into the program.
- First Six Months: Beginning of Course work & Allocation of Supervisor (Full time Doctoral faculty of the Poornima University as per UGC norms)(Course Work: Classes will be conducted in 04 Modules, each module duration equals to one week)
- Comprehensive Exam & Synopsis Submission(Within 2 years of Ph.D. admission including the completion of the Course Work)
- Commencement of work on the Thesis Proposal.
- Six monthly progress report submission duly signed by the supervisor & Presentation of work every six month.(Min. 3-4 presentations are required for the award of Ph.D. degree)
- Pre-submission Defense (Before Pre-submission defense, minimum publications requirement must be fulfilled as per the norms)
- Thesis Submission (within 6 months of Pre-submission Defense)
- Review of Thesis by the Examiners (1 International / National, 1 from state and from the supervisor(s))
- Final viva-voce (after receiving satisfactory reports from the examiners)
- Award of Ph.D. degree
- Multidisciplinary Research:Multidisciplinary research (different disciplines working together) is available at Poornima University (PU) in which the scholar takes one supervisor from the Poornima University and Joint Supervisor from other disciplines from PU itself or outside PU as per the UGC norms.