The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Computer Science at the Poornima University is an advanced, intensive program offered by the Computer Science Department and designed to take students to the frontiers of knowledge in one of a number of key areas of Computer Science. The Ph.D. in Computer Science combines theory and practice in complementary, yet flexible, ways. The program has been designed to prepare students for careers in research (at universities, or government or industrial research laboratories), teaching (at colleges or universities), or advanced development (at hardware and software companies).The Department presently has many active research groups that cover most areas of Computer Science.
Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science is a 3 to 5 years of course. The basic eligibility to pursue this course is to hold a PG degree with at least 50% from a recognizable institution in India under any allied Computer Science branch. Admission to the course is offered by conducting institute level entrance exams, counselling or interviews as mandated by the affiliated university.
The doctoral program normally takes 3-5 years to complete and involves three different stages after the admission into the program.
- First Six Months: Beginning of Course work & Allocation of Supervisor (Full time Doctoral faculty of the Poornima University as per UGC norms) (Course Work: Classes will be conducted in 04 Modules, each module duration equals to one week)
- Comprehensive Exam & Synopsis Submission (Within 2 years of Ph.D. admission including the completion of the Course Work)
- Commencement of work on the Thesis Proposal.
- Six monthly progress report submission duly signed by the supervisor & Presentation of work every six month.(Min. 3-4 presentations are required for the award of Ph.D. degree)
- Pre-submission Defense (Before Pre-submission defense, minimum publications requirement must be fulfilled as per the norms)
- Thesis Submission (within 6 months of Pre-submission Defense)
- Review of Thesis by the Examiners (1 International / National, 1 from state and from the supervisor(s))
- Final viva-voce (after receiving satisfactory reports from the examiners)
- Award of Ph.D. degree
- Multidisciplinary Research: Multidisciplinary research (different disciplines working together) is available at Poornima University (PU) in which the scholar takes one supervisor from the Poornima University and Joint Supervisor from other disciplines from PU itself or outside PU as per the UGC norms.