Healthcare has become one of India’s largest sectors – both in terms of Revenue and Employment. Healthcare comprises hospitals, medical devices, clinical trials, outsourcing, telemedicine, medical tourism, health insurance and medical equipment which constitutes 65 per cent of the overall market. The Indian healthcare sector is growing at a brisk pace due to its strengthening coverage, services and increasing expenditure by public as well private players.
It has been predicted that with increased digital adoption, the Indian healthcare market, which is worth around US$ 100 billion, will likely grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate of 23 per cent to US$ 280 billion by 2020.
The healthcare market can increase three fold to US$ 372 billion by 2022. The hospital industry in India stood at Rs 4 trillion (US$ 61.79 billion) in 2017 and is expected to increase at a CAGR of 16.17 percent to reach Rs 8.6 trillion (US$ 132.84 billion) by 2023. The Healthcare Information Technology (IT) market is expected to grow 1.5 times by 2020.
A Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) is a multidisciplinary three years course, flexible degree that provides students with the opportunity to learn key principles in public health, leading to a wide range of careers. It also provides a pathway to graduate entry and postgraduate clinical programs (for example medicine, social work, nursing and allied health) as well as honors and higher degrees by research.
- To be a catalyst for a vibrant public health system through responsive research, education and training in epidemiology, data management, and public health.
- To impart highest quality and innovative public health education by offering Bachelor of Public Health (BPH),
- To enhance the applied public health research capacity (including monitoring and evaluation skills) of public health practitioners in India and abroad
- To improve knowledge of public health and influence government policies through research, communication and advocacy.
To be a world leader in improving public health through education, research, and community engagement, promoting health and eliminating disparities globally.
The mission of the School of Public Health is to prepare a public health workforce, create new knowledge, address social determinants, and lead in the implementation of new approaches and policies to improve the health of populations.
Program Educational Objectives
The Program Educational Objectives are to prepare the students to:
- Identify and understand data
- Turn data into information for action
- Assess needs and assets to address community health needs
- Make evidence based decisions
- Determine needed policies and effectively advocate for policy
- Contribute to the development of strategic plans
- Plan, implement, evaluate, and improve programs
- Implement strategies for continuous QI
- Facilitate communication
- Convey data and information to professionals
- Understand and effectively respond to diverse needs
- Assess organizational cultural diversity and competence
- Ensure organizational cultural competence
- Evaluate and develop linkages and relationships within the community
- Maintain and advance partnerships and community involvement
- Defend public health policies and programs
- Evaluate effectiveness and improve community engagement
- Incorporate core public health functions into practice
- Apply basic sciences to practice
- Critique and develop research
- Retrieve evidence
- Establish academic partnerships
- Leverage community resources
- Manage partnerships and ensure programs are well managed
- Motivate personnel to achieve goals
- Establish Performance Management System
- Incorporate ethical standards into the organization
- Integrate systems thinking into public health practice mentoring
- Professional development opportunities
- Adjust practice to address changing needs and environment
- Manage organizational change
PO1 : HEALTHCARE PRACTITIONER :
Function effectively as entry-level healthcare professionals, integrating all graduate attribute roles to provide optimal, ethical, comprehensive and patient/client-centered care in a plurality of health and social contexts.
PO2 : COMMUNICATOR :
Develop rapport, trust and ethical therapeutic relationships with patients/clients, families and communities from different cultural backgrounds.
PO3 : COLLABORATOR :
Participate effectively and appropriately in multicultural, interprofessional and transprofessional teams, as well as teams in other contexts (the community included).
PO4 : LEADER AND MANAGER :
Participate in activities that contribute to the effectiveness of the healthcare organizations and systems in which they work.
PO5 : HEALTH ADVOCATE :
Respond to individual patient/client health needs and related issues as part of holistic care.
PO6 : SCHOLAR :
Maintain and enhance professional competence through ongoing learning, both as healthcare professionals and as responsible citizens, locally and globally.
PO7 : PROFESSIONAL :
Demonstrate commitment and accountability to their patients/clients, other healthcare professions and society through ethical practice.
Program Specific Outcomes
to provide public health education that prepares practitioners for a career in public health
to add to the discovery and application of knowledge in public health
to provide public health advocate for community and population health
- Program is designed for mid-career professionals who work in the health sector and possess a degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, and other allied health fields.
- It is a hybrid or blended program that uses partial-E-learning and on-campus classes. The E-learning component involves presentations and visits to various healthcare delivery institutions
- Core course addresses Healthcare and hospital management including management of Human resource and Finance, Organizational Behaviour, Principles of Hospital Administration, Medico-Legal Aspects, Quality in Healthcare, and Marketing in Healthcare.
- Master’s thesis in a topic of the student’s choice and interests.
- Minimum 8 weeks internship program with NABH accredited hospitals (Medipulse Hospital, Jodhpur) and a Corporate Hospital (Fortis/ MAX/ Eternal/ Medanta/ Ivy etc)
- The course is taught by stalwarts from Public Health and Medical fraternity from India and abroad.
- Successful students get placed in companies like WHO, McKinsey & Company, UN Children’s Fund, PHFI, The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation etc